During the Covid-19 pandemic, the health of our colleagues and the people in the communities in which we operate has been our number one priority.
Throughout this difficult time, we have taken steps to monitor and respond to developments and to ensure that our existing and new investments can positively impact the now weakened health systems of the fragile countries in which we work.
We formulated an action plan which included the creation of a COVID-19 response task team in order to step up the PIDG contribution to responding to and recover from the pandemic.
We are pleased to report that the first phase of the PIDG COVID-19 response has been successfully closed. In the three months since first mobilising, the task team has achieved great results.
- Total funds committed: US$1.538m
- 22 grants across 18 countries
- Directly reaching more than 250,000 people
Through PIDG Technical Assistance funding and the partnerships with our sponsors and project companies, we have been directly supporting:
- 28,000 workers to stay in work through the provision of safety equipment and procedures
- 10,000 people with access to water and hand washing facilities
- over 18,000 medical staff, 234 clinics, and 30 hospitals to respond or prepare to respond to the emergency with the right equipment, and we have been
- reaching nearly 100,000 people with vital health messaging to stay safe and limit the spread of the virus
Working together across all the PIDG companies as well as with our external partners has been key to reaching these positive results in such a short time frame. In addition, using our partners as the routes for distribution has ensured that funding and equipment have reached the intended beneficiaries quickly and in a cost-effective way.
The next phase will revolve around analysing threats and opportunities as part of the PIDG business planning process. We will continue to monitor the evolution of the crisis and consider further interventions as needs emerge.
Guided by our values, we remain vigilant in our commitment to the safe, sustainable delivery of our projects, and most importantly, ensuring the health and safety of our colleagues.
Total funds committed: US$1.538m
22 grants across 18 countries
Directly reaching more than 250,000 people
Working together across all the PIDG companies as well as with our external partners has been key to reaching these positive results in such a short time frame.